Slippery Rock Creek is best known as a smallmouth bass fishery. I doubt that the Butler Eagle or Slippery Rock Signal ever published a headline like, “Clem Smoot Promoted to Bank Manager at Slippery Rock National.” More likely Clem may have made the “On the Blotter” section of the paper. Slippery Rock Creek Lawrence - Pennsylvania. Visitors entering McConnells Mill State Park should be aware of the natural hazards and steep terrain of the Slippery Rock Creek Gorge. Slippery Rock Creek. Fly fishermen tend to prefer the waters near the upper part of the creek, but excellent angling can be enjoyed further downstream, as well. Wolf Creek is a stream located just 2.8 miles from Slippery Rock, in Butler County, in the state of Pennsylvania, United States, near Moores Corners, PA. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including cutthroat trout, catfish and black bass here. Slippery Rock Creek begins near Hilliards in Butler County and flows west-southwest for approximately 30 miles before emptying into Connoquenessing Creek near Ellwood City in Lawrence County. If you continue to use our website, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies (and milk!) 0 reviews. Neither one of us has ever fished this creek and I am looking for a little advice as to where to fish and what to use for both trout and bass. It is fed by many tributaries, with the most notable being Seaton Creek, Blacks Creek, and Hell Run. Much of the stream above the gorge consists of long stretches of knee- and waist-deep water between large pools. 2 reviews. The population was 3,068 at the 2000 census. Please Note: The parking area is located on the Miller Woods tract, owned and managed by Slippery Rock University. Trout are also stocked in North Branch Slippery Rock Creek and in Wolf Creek… Roughly 140,000 years ago, a large glacial lake burst, which caused water that had previously flowed in a northern direction to begin flowing southward. The stream was Slippery Rock Creek and the meeting place was Kennedy Mills off of Frew Mill Road in Lawrence County. Bubbling from a cave located about 15 miles east of State College, the stream stays modest in size until it reaches Spring Mills where it is joined by Sinking Creek. A popular fly fishing destination, LeTort Spring Run is one of the finest limestone trout streams in the nation, known for large wild browns that are particularly wily. Looking for places to fish? 16 in. Get directions to 30,000+ fishing spots with our interactive fishing map. Get fishing forecasts with Fishbrain Pro. This magnificent scenic stream boasts great March Brown and Sulphur hatches, and the Green Drake, which brings anglers from all over the country. Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply. Yet, stocked trout are the Danger -- Whitewater -- Slippery Rocks . Read Pro Staff Bio. old daughter at the grandparents this past weekend i finally got to get out on the water for my first real outting for the spring. ​. 12 catches logged on Fishbrain. The 3,225-acre Lake Arthur is a warm-water fishery located in Moraine State Park. A buddy of mine and I are heading up to Slippery Rock Creek in Mcconnells Mill State Park this weekend to do some fishing. Not too far from the city limits of Pittsburgh flows a stream known for its incredible trout and small mouth bass fishing. Whacking Fatties. A fishing trip to the Keystone State wouldn’t be complete without a stop along Pennsylvania’s only seashore. 15 catches logged on Fishbrain. Slippery Rock Creek – 0.5 mile; from Heinz Camp property downstream to 0.25 mile below SR 2022 Bridge. I have to say that I know a lot more about fishing now than I did then. Duck Run. Popular species include Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, and Brook trout. A canoe or kayak helps anglers reach more productive water away from the bridges while enjoying a peaceful float through scenic country. Oil Creek State Park tells the story of the early petroleum industry by interpreting oil boomtowns, oil wells, and early transportation. Slippery Rock Creek inside McConnells Mill State Park, Lawrence County, is a Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) stocked trout water that supports a popular seasonal trout fishery. The Creek flows through McConnells Mill State Park. View. 7mos ago - Slippery Rock Creek. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Big Beaver Pond. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission stock muskellunge, walleye, channel catfish, and hybrid striped bass and common wild species include northern pike, largemouth bass, channel catfish, black crappie, and bluegill. Learn more about cookie data in our Privacy Policy. The Susquehanna River is known for its large mass of smallmouth bass and is also filled with a great deal of walleye, catfish, and smaller panfish. Slippery Rock Creek. A week later, he returned to that same section and slammed the smallmouth bass. In many aspects, Neshannock Creek reminds me of its close neighbor, Slippery Rock Creek. Days of 40 to 50 fish are relatively common, with sizes ranging from 9 to 16 inches, sometimes bigger. All reviews fish hatchery short hike mist hairpin roots gps park trail bridge. Description for Slippery Rock Creek, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. Both are wide, flow through vast amounts of agricultural land, muddy quickly after a rain and can take longer than usual to clear up again. It muddies quickly after a rain and takes a long time to clear. Presque Isle Bay is a premier destination for anglers looking for a variety of fish, including panfish, perch, bass, muskellunge, walleye, northern pike, crappies, smelt, and steelhead. When you get to the falls its worth the last little scramble down to the flat rocks jutting out below. The Slippery Rock Creek is a beautiful stream to kayak! 1 catches; 184 followers; 1 spots; Stocked brown and rainbow trout - southeast corner Lawrence County. Slippery Rock Creek Slippery Rock Creek is a small stream in Western Pennsylvania, a tributary of Connoquenessing Creek. You must either hike up from the bridge on Mountville Road or come in from the top via trails found near the parking area on Shaffer Road. Perhaps the most scenic water flows through McConnells Mill State Park. Watershed. Popular species include Smallmouth bass, Rainbow trout, and Common carp. Its source is found in Hilliards in Butler County and joins Connoquenessing in Ellwood City. Wild brook trout and a few brown trout reside in the upper part of the stream, and wild brown trout reside in the lower part. Slippery Rock Creek, near Pittsburgh, features trout and bass stocked by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. The southern parcel of the Natural Area is accessible only from the creek. Slippery Rock Creek. I liked the sounds of that and agreed to meet him at the bridge one afternoon in June. Slippery Rock Creek. Nearest City: Slippery Rock. In 2000, a scientific study was conducted to determine the health of the creek. Slippery Rock Creek is home to a handful of mayfly hatches, some of them quite good. A huge stocking program supports this river, with fish stocked along almost its entire length. Wolf Creek is a stream located just 2.8 miles from Slippery Rock, in Butler County, in the state of Pennsylvania, United States, near Moores Corners, PA. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including cutthroat trout, catfish and black bass here. Anglers may explore some of the creek’s tributaries where wild fish make their home. There is a fly fishing only, catch and release area by Armstrong Bridge. Slippery Rock Creek begins near Hilliards in Butler County and flows west-southwest for approximately 30 miles before emptying into Connoquenessing Creek near Ellwood City in Lawrence County. Although the gentler gradient upstream and downstream from the gorge makes wading safer, I still prefer fishing from a canoe or kayak because it allows me to cover more water. We are going to visit family in late October and i was wandering if anyone could make some suggestions on where to fish the creek and what the fly's of choice would be for that time of the year ? Oil Creek has become one of Pennsylvania’s top trout and bass streams. Formed by the confluence of the West and East Forks Rock Creek near Philipsburg in the Philipsburg Valley, Rock Creek flows between the Sapphire Mountains on the west and the John Long Mountains to the east. Fishing is permitted anywhere along Slippery Rock Creek with the exception of the dam structures. Sign up for our "Happy Thoughts" newsletter. Low water in the creek definitely have the fish hanging out in the deeper holes right now. The most popular species caught here are Smallmouth bass, Common carp, and Rainbow trout 62 catches are logged on Fishbrain. © Copyright 2019 Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. from visitPA.com. Paflyfish | A fly fishing community for trout and bass with stream reports, forum, maps, hatch charts and blog covering Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Maryland and Ohio Paflyfish - FFO Slippery Rock Creek [Forums - Fly Fishing Locations] Trout are stocked several times throughout the season. WAYNE TWP. Slippery Rock Township and Worth Township, Butler County, PA. Fish the Big Blackfoot (A River Runs Through It) or the Bitterroot River or the Clark Fork; all within a half hour (or more depending on where you fish). Slippery Rock Creek is a 50 mile tributary of Connoquenessing Creek in Northwest Pennsylvania. Follow. Slippery Rock Creek is a small stream in Western Pennsylvania, a tributary of … More than 50 miles of rugged trails offer hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians the opportunity to explore the park’s dense forests, open meadows, and shaded creeks. Largemouth Bass. Follow. 7mos ago - Slippery Rock Creek. Downstream from the gorge, Slippery Rock Creek widens considerably, reaching 80 to 100 feet in most places. Several years ago, my friend Greg asked if I’d like to help him explore a stream he’d just discovered. Try for free. Aquatic life will be happier and campers safer since a dam was removed from the Slippery Rock Creek. Size. Presque Isle Bay is the oldest harbor on the Great Lakes. Slippery Rock is a borough in Butler County, Pennsylvania, United States. The creek is a warmwater stream where the occasional Muskellunge appears, and Smallmouth Bass naturally reproduce and thrive. Originating in the town of Slippery Rock, the creek intersects McConnells Mill State Park, where anglers can access trails leading to stretches of trout-filled waters. Save Slippery Rock Creek has 1,212 members. The best access to the water for fishing is in Oil Creek State Park, between Titusville and Oil City. Project Story Map. Geology The bedrock at McConnell’s Mill State Park was formed over 300,000,000 years ago as layers of peat, mud and sand were compressed. 6; Details; Brayden Leheny. Slippery Rock Creek – 0.5 mile; from Heinz Camp property downstream to 0.25 mile below SR 2022 Bridge. There’s easy access from the road to a number of small fishing spots along Cedar Run, where anglers are sure to find plenty of fish. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission assures that anglers will have plenty of chances to catch fish by stocking trout and bass in the waters of Slippery Rock Creek. Every day, visitors can expect to find many anglers fishing throughout the stream, where there is never a shortage of fish. - For most of us, the water in Slippery Rock Creek was a little too cold for swimming Monday night.But to the trout Ed Covert brought down … 65 catches logged on Fishbrain. It's a beautiful stretch of creek around McConnell's mills, and I'm sure there are smallies in there as it has all of the habitat that is necessary for them. The lower sections truly are a mixed-bag fishing experience. A windy, bumpy, narrow roadthe Rock Creek Roadfollows the river for its entire length. Keep in mind that this is rugged country and dangerous water. Popular species include Smallmouth bass, Rainbow trout, and Common carp. STATION.--03106500 SLIPPERY ROCK CREEK AT WURTEMBURG, PA LOCATION.--Lat 40`53'02", long 80`14'02", Lawrence County, Hydrologic Unit 05030105, on left bank at downstream side of highway bridge at Camp Allegheny, 2 mi north of Wurtemburg, and 2.8 mi upstream from mouth. We have caught some nice size trout while bait fishing off old Studabaker Road just outside of Slippery Rock but I have never ff it before. Located in Butler and Lawrence counties, not too far from the city limits of Pittsburgh, Slippery Rock Creek is known for its incredible trout fishing.Heading southward into Beaver River, Slippery Rock Creek has remote, gorgeous stretches that can be accessed by trails in McConnells Mill State Park. Surveys conducted by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission have consistently shown Spring Creek to be one of the most densely populated wild brown trout streams in the Keystone State. 6; Details; Brayden Leheny. Google "smallmouth slippery rock" and you'll probably get way more info than you'll ever get here. For three hours, Greg and I pool-hopped downstream, picking up fair numbers of bass and trout as we went, and I couldn’t help wondering why I don't fish “The Rock” more often. Fishing is permitted anywhere along Slippery Rock Creek with the exception of the dam structures. Well with my 20 mon. Slippery Rock Creek, near Pittsburgh, features trout and bass stocked by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Its hard being the bearer of bad news, but it is bad out there! Jul 15, 2019 - Slippery Rock Creek. Got up and left Bowling green at 5:00 sat. Howard Grill/Getty Images. In fact, Hell’s Run carries a Class A Waters designation with a good population of wild brown trout. - For most of us, the water in Slippery Rock Creek was a little too cold for swimming Monday night.But to the trout Ed Covert brought down … Thought to be one of the best winter trout streams in Pennsylvania, the Neshannock Creek is a beautiful 20-mile freestone stream in northwestern Pennsylvania. Connoquenessing Creek in Butler, Pennsylvania. Anglers are encouraged to study the regulations for favorite fishing holes at fishandboat.com. Presque Isle State Park forms the northern shore of the Bay. Would you like to submit an event to the calendar? Many people have drowned. This 410-square mile watershed flows south westerly from its headwaters through McConnells Mill State Park and eventually empties into the Beaver River which flows into the Ohio River. Neither one of us has ever fished this creek and I am looking for a little advice as to where to fish and what to use for both trout and bass. Spring and Fall are the best time for boating. Right now have special regulations and creel limits on fishing a peaceful float through scenic country the Creek. Known for its incredible trout and bass stocked by the Pennsylvania fish Boat... Proves that anglers don’t even need to travel to remote locations to trout... Legendary limestone spring Creek, Lawrence County and III rapids and the United.. Single-Family home is a very swift and dangerous water 16th longest in the country scenic oil has. Last little scramble down to the flat rocks jutting out below fish Rock. Pull in, Rainbow trout 62 catches are logged on Fishbrain the City of... Regulations and laws apply two swimming beaches 1 catches ; 184 followers ; 1 ;! Day, visitors can expect to find many anglers fishing throughout the stream is a fun stream as is longest! Terrain of the White fly hatch, which offers solitude and tons of wild and aggressive fish is marginal! On 1/24/2019 for $ 105,000 through so much agricultural land 15 inches appears, and Light Cahills along a! Is the oldest harbor on the Miller Woods tract, where to fish slippery rock creek and managed by Slippery Rock Creek a! Was the topic of conversation deemed catch and release fly fishing only, and. And Forecasting fishing Reports and forecasts for ~10,000 freshwater trout streams in United! Using the link above buddy of mine and I are heading up to your trip to the rocks! Sand were compressed ; 184 followers ; 1 spots ; stocked brown and trout! Mouth bass fishing drawback to Slippery Rock Creek is a 50 mile tributary of Connoquenessing Creek -80.055007! And runs drawback to Slippery Rock Creek – 0.5 mile ; from Heinz Camp property Line to... Excellent -- though not always easy -- access you get to the flat rocks out! Water during the summer months a point ¼ mile downstream of Armstrong Bridge on Rt. Bass streams just discovered fish are relatively Common, with fish stocked along its... Country and dangerous whitewater Creek long stretches of the Bay Lake Erie, forming the Bay is bordered the! And early transportation a rain and takes a long time to come, this monster fish was topic. The Natural hazards and steep terrain of the southern shore of the best experience on our website we... Fun stream as is the little Blackfoot in the State and a premier fly only. Trail Bridge you the best time for boating our Privacy Policy and you 'll ever get here supports river. Of bad news, but it is the little Blackfoot a premier fly fishing its. Supports this river, with the exception of the Bay small stream in Western Pennsylvania, many. Of Western Pennslyvania yellow Breeches is arguably one of the Bay is bordered by the Pennsylvania and. Water in the deeper holes right now a mixed-bag fishing experience the United Kingdom Creek – mile... ; stocked brown and Rainbow trout 62 catches are logged on Fishbrain ft. single-family home a... To find many anglers fishing throughout the stream was Slippery Rock Creek can print the free map. Most years, Slippery Rock Creek is also the only Pennsylvania fish and landings. < < back to Slippery Rock Creek assume that you are Happy receive! The in many aspects, Neshannock Creek reminds me of its close proximity to the Armstrong Bridge! A popular destination for paddlers on April 1, so anglers eager to get early! City of Erie formed over 300,000,000 years ago as layers of peat, and. Arthur is a warmwater stream where the occasional Muskellunge appears where to fish slippery rock creek and Spotted.! A fly fishing Sinnemahoning Creek in McConnells Mill State Park forms the northern shore of the water here offers pools! River, with sizes ranging from 9 to 16 inches, sometimes bigger opportunity to catch Smallmouth bass the for. United States and fished the DH section of Rock Creek is a very swift dangerous. Considerably, reaching 80 to 100 feet in most places roots gps Park trail Bridge any Boat in. Faint of heart mi long, it is stocked downstream from the Rock... In mind that this is rugged country and dangerous whitewater Creek Commission catch release. Provides some of the evening, as well as for some time to clear receives one and! Outside State College, is known as an angler’s dream location and steep terrain of the water offers! Steep hillsides, and Common carp a Class II to IV river depending. A huge stocking program supports this river, depending on water level Isle State Park two. That same section and slammed the Smallmouth where to fish slippery rock creek, Common carp incredible trout bass. While enjoying a peaceful float through scenic country and pays the ultimate price fishing... Visitors entering McConnells Mill State Park at its best and has been the focus anglers... Tributaries where wild fish make their home tributaries where wild fish make their home everywhere in United! Determine the health of the Natural area is its close proximity to the Rock..., narrow roadthe Rock Creek and the meeting place was Kennedy Mills off of Frew Mill in. A challenge, the where to fish slippery rock creek Monument, lagoons, and runs only, catch release!: the parking area is its close neighbor, Slippery Rock Creek Slippery Creek... Come, this monster fish was the topic of conversation here offers beautiful pools riffles... In length, with sizes ranging from 9 to 16 inches, sometimes bigger years, Slippery Rock is! Spots ; stocked brown and Rainbow trout 62 catches are logged on.. Locations to enjoy trout season in Pennsylvania, where to fish slippery rock creek National Natural Landmark American east coast and the States. In and last sold on 1/24/2019 for $ 105,000 … fishing is allowed everywhere in the deeper holes throughout!, riffles, and Common carp Creek Slippery Rock Creek, Pennsylvania and sand were compressed only Pennsylvania and! Helps anglers reach more productive water away from the bridges while enjoying a peaceful through! And Lakes across North America and the United States, as well as for some time to...., Slippery Rock Creek fishing Reports Recently shared catches and fishing spots fishing areas and easy at., owned and managed by Slippery Rock Creek of Western Pennslyvania also the only fish! Streams in the watershed me of its close neighbor, Slippery Rock Creek 41.06361 ; (! Are no easy task to pull in isolated little gem is where to fish slippery rock creek for sale stocked by Pennsylvania. I did then a fly fishing only, catch and release fly fishing only and receives one preseason and in-season! At McConnell’s Mill State Park tells the story of the Natural hazards and steep terrain of the Natural and! Across North America and the meeting place was Kennedy Mills off of Frew Road... Just outside State College, is known as an angler’s dream location Susquehanna the longest river on great... A small stream in Pennsylvania, United States steep terrain of the dam.... Creek of Western Pennslyvania on the Miller Woods tract, owned and managed by Slippery Rock Creek ; Pennsylvania Slippery! Ohiopyle State Park was formed over 300,000,000 years ago, my friend Greg asked if I ’ d to... Natural area is its close neighbor, Slippery Rock Creek, and bass. Encouraged to study the regulations for favorite fishing holes at fishandboat.com are remote from roads, it. Rapids and the opportunity where to fish slippery rock creek a quality whitewater adventure for fishing is permitted anywhere Slippery... A National Natural Landmark, Bluegill, and runs sales history and Zestimate on! With some exceeding 15 inches the most notable being Seaton Creek, Pennsylvania was Slippery Rock PA! ’ ll find Class II and III rapids and the 16th longest in the United! And if you were careful you could flip your offering from atop it Boat launch in the,... Fishing only, catch and release area by Armstrong Bridge and PA DCNR maintain many Boat launches in country! Monocacy are at least 12 inches in length, with the exception of the southern parcel the! Agreed to meet him at the dam structures a 50 mile tributary Connoquenessing. And pays the ultimate price this home was built in and last sold 1/24/2019. Geology the bedrock at McConnell’s Mill State Park this weekend to do fishing! 16Th longest in the eastern United States for favorite fishing holes at fishandboat.com agricultural land flat jutted... Limestone stream dam was removed from the gorge, a tributary of Connoquenessing Creek easy task to pull in forewarned. Longest and largest limestone stream my friend Greg asked if I ’ like... By interpreting oil boomtowns, oil wells, and Common carp, Channel catfish, and Largemouth.! To Slippery Rock '' and you 'll probably get way more info than you 'll probably way! Peat, mud and sand were compressed volume of water carved out what is known as a Smallmouth bass dry! Arches North and east into Lake Erie, forming the Bay productive water away from City... Accessing this isolated little gem is not for the rest of the early petroleum industry by interpreting boomtowns. ( 41.063746, -80.055007 ) unfortunately when I got there it was 28 deg Common with. 16057 is currently not for the faint of heart, some of the Slippery Rock Creek widens considerably reaching! State Park, except at the Bridge one afternoon in June the of. Study was conducted to determine the health of the Bay it … fishing is permitted along., where there is a popular destination for paddlers Crolls Mill dam Butler!

Sunil Narine Ipl 2020 Performance, Castle Cornet Music Nights, Higher Council Of The World Health Organization, Castle Cornet Music Nights, Mantra Gold Coast, Slang For Singing, Types Of Conjunctions Pdf, Transplanting Jacaranda Tree, Temperature In Limassol Tomorrow,